May 30, 2008

Because Of Love

I was on my way to court today. It is court vacation but the court i was going to was not on vacation. It had a hardworking Judge. 2 months ago, she entered a million ringgit judgment against my client and also struck out my client's multi million counter claim - all because i was 20 minutes late in attending her court (I was in another court). The case was filed 7 years ago. So my client cannot refile his action as the limitation period had set in. In short - I was now having every lawyer's worst nightmare - client's action being time barred after it is struck off for non attendance of lawyer or a default judgement entered against client when lawyer is absent. I was having both the nightmares. My client was too happy about it and i did not know what to say to him. We are talking millions here, so i was stupefied and lost for words. All i could do was say that i would do my best to get him out of the mess. To make matters worse, he told me, "Please...my life depends on you". I could do without the pressure.
So today, 2 months later, i was in my car on my way to the Judge's court for the hearing of my client's application to set aside the default judgement against him and to reinstate my client's counter claim. I had to succeed if my client was to have 'his life' back. The tension was unbearable. I was already thinking of the appeal as i was not too confident of my chances before this particular Judge. To take my mind off the pressure, i switched on the player. Country singer Kenny Chesney was singing

"Anythin is possible..everythin i wanna be, any dream i wanna dream..i can -
because of your love. Anywhere i ever go, with all my heart i know, i am man i
am because of your love..."

I felt love. And i thought:-

Could it be that succesful people are successful because they have that really special someone who loves them? Maybe to be succesful one has to have that really somebody special - THE ONE AND ONLY- to love him or her. And maybe the not so succesful people have someone or many someones to love them but they are unmotivated or indifferent because they don't have that love which only that special someone can give?

Or could it be the love from GOD, if one is religious?

As i was thinking i had reached the court house. I had no appetite so i skipped breakfast at the court canteen and went straight up to the court room. My case was listed no. 3 on the court list. I was 30 minutes early this time. I see my opposing counsel at 9.10 am. The last time it seemed he was going to oppose my application as i was informed an affidavit in opposition was going to be filed against my application. Today he said he was not going to oppose my application. I asked him why the change of heart. He said lawyers should help each other out. At that moment i felt love again. I could smell the victory. You are always on a high when you feel love. You know love will always win the day. We entered the Judge's chambers. My application was allowed. The judgement against my client was set aside and his counter claim reinstated. It was all over in 5 minutes.

Moral of the story - When under pressure, when the world seems unkind and cruel, when things are not going your way, when life sucks and absurdly unfair - listen to a country love song, be philosophical about love, think love thoughts.

Lawyers are not that bad. Judges are not that bad.

Love can make the dream come true.

No comments: